Study and Academic Support
As a Deakin College student, you have access to a range of support services to make your time at Deakin College as enjoyable as possible and to ensure a smooth transition to university level study. Our Student Learning Advisors and Student Mentors provide academic support to improve your study skills and help you achieve success in your units. Additionally, each course has an Academic Coordinator, who can give you course related advice.
Student Learning Advisors
Student Learning Advisors are professional staff who provide learning support at all campuses. You can can book half-hour individual or group appointments with a Student Learning Advisor on campus or online for help in the following key areas:
- time management and organisation
- study skills
- research skills and using the library
- paraphrasing, summarising, and quoting
- getting started on assessments
- exam preparation
- guidance on improving English language skills
- guidance on academic integrity, collusion, and contract cheating.
Student Learning Advisors can also provide information on other student support services available at Deakin College and Deakin University.
Students at all campuses can book an appointment with a Student Learning Advisor online. At Waurn Ponds and Waterfront campuses, students can also book an appointment in person at Deakin College Reception, or by calling Deakin College Reception at their campus:
Waurn Ponds: +61 3 5227 3433
Waterfront: +61 3 5227 2890
Deakin College Learning Mentors are high-achieving students with excellent communication skills trained to support Deakin College students (at all campuses) to progress successfully in their studies.
Learning Mentors help you by:
- being approachable, supportive, and encouraging and by always treating discussions as confidential
- advising you about the expectations associated with being a successful student
- helping you get organised and by assisting you to develop effective study habits
- providing information on other support services available at Deakin College and Deakin University
- offering learning support to help you succeed in your units
- assisting you with unit-related queries through face-to-face meetings or online via Zoom
You have the option of choosing an individual Learning Mentor based on the unit you require mentoring assistance with.
Learning Mentors do not:
- proof-read or edit work for students nor do they re-teach the content of classes/tutorials
- they do not assist students with the content of assignments as this would be collusion
Learning Mentors do:
- guide students towards a better understanding of an assignment’s requirements
- guide students to come to their own understanding of certain elements of a unit’s content
If more critical support is needed, a Learning Mentor may refer you back to your lecturer or to a Student Learning Advisor.
Learning Mentor meeting locations
Typically at Burwood campus students will meet with a Learning Mentor in Room la4.134 (Building La, Level 4), or sometimes, the Learning Mentor may choose to meet with a student at the Deakin University Library.
At Waurn Ponds and Waterfront campuses, Learning Mentors typically book meeting rooms in the library or meet students in interview rooms near each campus’ respective reception areas. Meeting details are always provided in the booking confirmation email.
At Deakin College, each course has its own Academic Coordinator. Your Academic Coordinator can provide you with course and unit selection advice and help you decide which Deakin University degree might suit you best. They can also assist with:
- FEE-HELP information (domestic students only)
- Leave of absence questions
- Special consideration
- Academic integrity