Overseas Student Health Cover

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

International students are required to take out Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of their stay in Australia. The cost will be calculated based on the duration of your student visa. Deakin College has appointed Bupa Overseas Student Health Cover to provide this cover.

OSHC Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to have OSHC?

All international students must have OSHC. On 1 July 2010, The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) www.homeaffairs.gov.au changed the student visa requirements. Under condition 8501, international students will have to obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the proposed duration of their student visa. For students who will be undertaking a packaged course, there cannot be a gap in the OSHC coverage.

What does OSHC Cover?

OSHC helps pay for medical and hospital care should you become ill during your stay in Australia. OSHC will also pay for most prescription drugs and emergency ambulance transport. OSHC will not cover any illness or disability that you had prior to arriving in Australia. It will also not cover ancillary services (for example, dental or optical services). If you require ancillary services you can take out extra OSHC, provided by an approved OSHC provider. Make sure you bring any optical or medical prescriptions with you to Australia.

How much do I pay?

This will depend on the duration of your visa. Deakin College will notify you of the costs in your offer letter.

What if I already have OSHC?

If you already have OSHC please provide proof of coverage to Deakin College before you accept your offer.