International Students (Under-18)

We are here to support your move to Australia and with your adjustment to university life.

Under-18 at Deakin College

Am I considered an under 18 student?

You are considered to be an Under-18 student if you meet one of the below criteria:

  • are under 18 years old when you first arrive in Australia, and
  • are under 18 years of age when you start studying at Deakin University English Language Institute (DUELI), Deakin College or Deakin University.

Deakin College’s Under-18 Management Program is compulsory for students who are under 18 years old when they accept their offer. The program makes starting uni easier and makes sure you’re taken care of until you turn 18. 

The program is designed to help all under 18 students with the process of moving to Australia and will assist them with living out of home for the first time whilst achieving academic results you can be proud of.

As part of the program, you will be assigned a Guardian who will be your first point of contact for anything they need. The Guardian will be happy to answer any questions you may have and is an additional resource onto top of your homestay host. 

This program also gives you the guidance, information and support you need to:

  • Live out of home for the first time
  • Adjust to life in Australia
  • Get the most out of your studies
  • Find out about your work opportunities
  • Make new friends and develop your network
  • Participate in activities and clubs on campus and explore Australia.

How to Apply

Step 1 - Choose your Accommodation and Guardianship arrangement

Stay with a relative:

  • See below for further instructions (step 3 is not required)


Stay with Homestay provider (a guardian will also be required):

Guardianship requirements

Melbourne Burwood campus:

  • Students who are studying at the Melbourne Burwood campus are required to use the Deakin College internal guardianship. You must also include evidence of your guardianship services payment with your acceptance. 

Geelong campuses:

  • Students who are studying at a campus in Geelong are required to use an external guardianship. You must also include confirmation of Guardianship from one of our approved providers with your acceptance.


Step 2- Complete Form and return with your acceptance

Complete, sign and return the Deakin College Under 18 Management Program form with your Deakin College acceptance.

Your Accommodation Options

An international student who is under 18 years of age is a “minor”. Minors must meet immigration requirements for accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements before a student visa will be granted.

International students under 18 years of age must either:

  • reside in Australia with a parent, or a person who has custody of them, or a relative aged at least 21 nominated by either the parent or the person having custody of them, or;
  • provide evidence that they will be going into care arrangements – for their accommodation, support and general welfare – i.e. homestay approved by Deakin College.

Only a student’s parent or a person who has custody of the student is allowed to nominate a carer for them.

Residing with a relative

Students who are under 18 and have a relative living close to campus may be considered as a nominated guardian. 

This person must have a visa to stay in Australia for the duration of the students visa or until the student turns 18.

A relative is defined as a parent or adoptive or step-parent, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, grandparent, step-grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt, step-uncle, niece, nephew, step-niece or step-nephew. It does not include a cousin. 

Obtaining a CoE

If the student is staying with an approved relative, Deakin College admissions will only provide a CoE. All other documentation is required when the student is applying for a student visa. 

Homestay Arrangements

As an under-18 student, you’ll be staying at a homestay located close to your campus. You’ll be staying with other students, which makes it easy to make friends as soon as you reach Australia.

No matter which homestay you stay with, you’ll have a live-in caretaker in your shared accommodation. They will look out for your welfare and safety throughout the trimester (and during the breaks if you and your parents choose this option).

Deakin College works with Student Accommodation Services (SAS) to assist with providing homestay arrangements for Under 18 students. Students under 18 years old will be required to apply for a homestay directly to SAS.

Once SAS have confirmed your homestay, confirmation will be sent to our admissions team.

Obtaining a CoE and CAAW

A confirmation email from the Guardianship Company and a copy of the Homestay application must be provided to Deakin College admissions before an eCoE and CAAW can be provided.

Choosing a Guardian

When you’re starting uni in a new country, you’ll probably have a lot of questions – but it can be hard to know who to turn to. Your Guardian will be your main point of contact until you turn 18. They will be in regular contact with both you and your parents. If you need any help or just want someone to talk to, your Guardian is the best person to go to.

Every student is unique and you’re bound to have different questions from your peers. You’ll be matched with a dedicated Guardian who’ll provide you one-on-one support and act as a point of contact for your parents. You and your Guardian will meet once a fortnight and you can maintain regular contact by phone or email.

You can talk to your Guardian about:

  • Settling in to life in Australia and at Deakin
  • Receiving your paperwork, including your Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE) and visa
  • Your visa’s working and study conditions
  • Managing your finances, setting up a bank account and applying for a Tax File Number
  • Applying for a study intermission
  • Applying to stay away from your homestay for one or more nights
  • Dealing with issues around homesickness, stress or study.

Because you’re living away from home, your parents will be able to contact your Guardian at any time to ask questions, receive updates or discuss your wellbeing.

Deakin College Guardianship

From the moment you accept your Deakin offer, you’ll be appointed a Guardian who will look out for your safety and security. Your Deakin College guardian is based at the Deakin College Melbourne Burwood Campus making them readily available to see you.

Deakin College Guardianship costs:

  • A non-refundable fee of $200 for the Deakin College Under-18 Guardianship Services
  • A fee of $8 per day from the beginning of the CAAW period (14 days before the start of the semester) until you turn 18.

External Guardianship Services

If you wish to use an external company, you must use one of the following External Guardianship Services approved by Deakin College:

International Student Alliance (ISA)
T: (613) 9663 2887

A & J Student Care Services
T: (613) 9801 2251

Professional Student Care
T: (613) 9318 3009

Additional Information

Airport Pick-up

When you arrive in Melbourne, our staff can meet you at the airport and transfer you to your homestay. It’s a free service and will help you to get on your feet faster.

So that we know when to meet you, please follow these steps to book your airport pick-up:

  • Fill out an application form at least three business days before you arrive in Melbourne
  • Tell us your homestay address where you’ll be staying at so we know where to drop you off.

Key Services

At Deakin, you can access a range of services that can support your education, career, health and wellbeing. This includes everything from language and learning services to counselling.

Payment and Refunds

Along with the payments you make during your application, you’ll need to pay an Application and Guardianship fee to be able to take part in the program. Once you submit your application, we’ll send you an invoice requesting payment of this fee.

If you decide you don’t want to be part of the program, you can apply for a refund of your fees (excluding the non-refundable components). We’ll assess if you’re eligible for a full or partial refund if you meet one or more of the following conditions:

  • If you are refused a student visa;
  • If you change to a different approved care arrangement; or
  • If you change education providers.