Skip to Main Content
Stemp student relaxes at home on laptop

Tax in Australia

Tax in Australia

As a Deakin College student, you will most likely be considered as an Australian Resident for tax purposes, even if you are an international student. This means:

  •  You pay tax on your earnings
  • The tax you pay will generally be lower than foreign residents
  • You are entitled to the benefits of the Australian tax system

Applying for a Tax File Number (TFN)

To work in Australia you will need a Tax File Number (TFN) or you could end up paying too much tax.

Your Tax File Number (TFN) is your personal reference number for tax purposes. If you do not already have a TFN, you will need to apply for one online either before you start work or soon after so you don’t pay too much tax. It is simple and free to do.

Apply for TFN – Domestic students

Apply for TFN – International students

When you start a job, genuine and legal employers will ask for your TFN so that they can work out how much tax you need to pay.

More information on tax in Australia here


In Australia, superannuation is a way of saving money for retirement. Superannuation is often called ‘super’.

If you are working while you study, you may be entitled to compulsory super contributions from your employer. This is called the superannuation guarantee.

The government sets the minimum rate for contributions, called the statutory rate.

Ask your employer if your pay includes super or if they pay super on top of your pay.

Read more about superannuation on the Tax and Superannuation page on the Fairwork Australia website.

You can also find information on the Australian Taxation Office (ATO) website in their Super section for individuals.

Back to Top