Skip to Main Content
Off campus female on phone

Frequently Asked Questions

About Deakin College

Deakin College has been in partnership with Deakin University since 1996. Deakin College is a popular choice for both Australian and International students and provides quality pathway programs to over 40 undergraduate and postgraduate Deakin University courses.

Deakin College offers:

  • Foundation Program which leads into Deakin College Diplomas or selected 1st year degree programs at Deakin University.
  • Diploma programs in Business, Commerce, Communication, Design, Engineering, Film Television and Animation, Health Sciences, Information Technology and Science, which lead into second year Bachelor degrees at Deakin University.

Deakin College courses are conducted on three Deakin University campuses in Victoria, Australia: Melbourne Burwood Campus, Geelong Waurn Ponds and Waterfront Campuses. Being located on campus enable students to access and enjoy all facilities and services, creating a smoother transition to their degree at Deakin. Some of our courses are also offered at our Jakarta campus.

It depends on which course you want to do. The Diploma in Commerce and Health Science are offered at both Melbourne and Geelong, so you can choose the campus you would like to study on. Deakin College’s other courses are designated to a specific campus.

Absolutely. As a Deakin College student, you are able to use many services and facilities at Deakin University including the library and sports facilities. You are also able to join Deakin’s clubs and societies.

Yes. The Diploma courses are the same level as those for the relevant first year undergraduate programs offered by Deakin University.

There are a lot of advantages for Deakin College students, such as smaller class sizes compared to university lecture sizes. Students have more class time per week which allows more time to understand course content and get help from lecturers.

No. While it is possible to complete either program in two trimesters (eight months), some students opt to study over three trimesters, to allow more time to concentrate on each individual unit.

Yes. Students undertaking a Deakin College Diploma course may apply for Youth Allowance, Austudy Payment, ABSTUDY and the Pensioner Education Supplement.

Yes. Many Australian universities recognise the Deakin College Diploma programs. Advanced standing is given on an individual case basis.

Students can use a Deakin College Diploma to apply for other institutions, however, we cannot guarantee entry.

Students at Deakin College are from many countries around the world. Most come from Australia, India, Pakistan, Singapore, Indonesia, Hong Kong, Sri Lanka, Kenya, Malaysia, Thailand and China. The ratio is 60% International students and 40% Australian/Permanent Residents.

Australian/Permanent residents can study part-time. International students must study full-time to meet visa conditions.

There are many avenues of help and support throughout your trimesters with Deakin College. If you find yourself having difficulty in a unit, you should contact your lecturer and organise a time to meet for consultation. A Student Advisor is also available to help with many areas of your studies and your life at Deakin College.

About the classes

All classes are two hours in duration. You will normally have 2 x 2-hour classes per week, per subject. There is some variation in this structure according to the nature of the individual units and specific requirements.

We offer both online and on-campus classes,depending on your course. You will decide whether to study online or on campus when you enrol and select your timetable.

Classes usually run weekdays, 9am-11am, 11am-1pm, 1-3pm, and 3-5pm.

Four units are the maximum for any student in any one trimester.

Due to visa conditions, international students must study a minimum of 3 units each trimester unless it is the student’s last trimester. There is no minimum for Australian students.

No. Because of the flexible nature of the program it is possible to progress to new units whilst retaking those which have been failed. As three trimesters of study can be completed in one calendar year, students who fail one or more units can get back ‘on track’ without loss of time.

International students must study on campus.

Online study is available to domestic students in the Diplomas of Business, Commerce, Communication, Design, Engineering*, Health Sciences* and IT. Online study is not available for the Diplomas of Film, TV and Animation and Science.
*These courses require some on-campus attendance for practicals.

There are three intakes per year – March, June and October.

Applying to Deakin College

It’s easy, just follow the links below:

It usually only takes 24 – 48 hours to receive an offer from Deakin College, but it can take longer depending on how complete the application is (all documents received, etc.).

Yes. Deakin College accepts both Australian/Permanent residents and International students.

Recognition for Prior Learning (RPL)

Yes, you can apply for recognition for prior learning for any formal study undertaken in recognised tertiary institutions in Australia, including universities, colleges, TAFE and other post-secondary education institutions.

Complete the RPL Application Form and submit to along with evidence of your prior studies.

You can be granted a maximum of four exemptions. You must enrol and successfully complete all remaining Deakin College units to be awarded the Diploma.

Deakin College entry requirements

Entry requirements are course specific and country specific. Click on the following links to find out more:

Yes. Deakin College accepts students who are aged 21 or over and have relevant experience or other appropriate qualifications.

Fee payment

You can pay your fees by Telegraphic Transfer/Direct Deposit, Bank Draft/Bank Cheque, Credit Card or FEE-HELP (FEE-HELP not available to international students). Click on the following links for detailed information.

No. As a pathway provider, Deakin College only participates in the FEE-HELP loan scheme. Commonwealth Supported Places (CSP) and Higher Education Commonwealth Support (HECS) will apply to students when they get into Deakin.

Deakin College has been granted the status as a recognised Higher Education Provider (HEP), allowing eligible students the opportunity to access the FEE-HELP loan scheme. This scheme is not available to International students.

Yes, check out the following link for more information.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

All international students must have OSHC. On 1 July 2010, The Department of Home Affairs (DHA) changed the student visa requirements. Under condition 8501, international students will have to obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the proposed duration of their student visa. For students who will be undertaking a packaged course, there cannot be a gap in the OSHC coverage.

OSHC helps pay for medical and hospital care should you become ill during your stay in Australia. OSHC will also pay for most prescription drugs and emergency ambulance transport. OSHC will not cover any illness or disability that you had prior to arriving in Australia. It will also not cover ancillary services (for example, dental or optical services). If you require ancillary services you can take out extra OSHC, provided by an approved OSHC provider. Make sure you bring any optical or medical prescriptions with you to Australia.

This will depend on the duration of your visa. Deakin College will notify you of the costs in your offer letter.

If you already have OSHC please provide proof of coverage to Deakin College before you accept your offer.


Yes, you definitely need to attend Orientation as this is the day you will enrol in your units. You will also meet key staff at Deakin College and be informed about the many services available to you as an Deakin College student. It is also a great opportunity to meet future friends in your mentor guided groups.

Bring your Deakin College offer letter, pen, and passport (international students only).

Please notify Deakin College immediately if you cannot attend and you will be instructed about a late enrolment session.

Course changes/withdrawals

Students may make changes to their original enrolment/unit selection online if vacancies are available in classes. After the online enrolment period is closed, students who want to make a change should go to Deakin College Reception. No changes to unit selection can be made two weeks after the commencement of a trimester, except to drop a unit. A unit can be dropped until the end of the fourth week and fees paid for the dropped unit will be credited to the next trimester. After the fourth week, a unit can be dropped. However no fees will be transferred to the next trimester. Students who drop a unit after the fourth week will have ‘W’ (Withdrawn) recorded as their result in the unit. Any unit dropped after Week 8 will be recorded as ‘WN’ (Withdrawn – Fail). Units cannot be dropped after the end of Week 10. Note: International students must maintain a full time enrolment.

Students who wish to change their course must complete the Change of Course Application form and submit to Deakin College Reception.

Students who wish to withdraw from a course must go to Deakin College Reception for an appointment with Student Services to complete the Withdrawal form. Withdrawals will not be processed unless a form has been completed. Students are bound by the Deakin College Refund Policy, applicable from the date of their original application to withdraw. International students who withdraw from a course will be reported to DIAC within one week of the withdrawal being approved and will be required to return home within 28 days.

Celebration of Completion

Deakin College organises a Celebration of Completion ceremony for students who have successfully completed their study at Deakin College. Family and friends are encouraged to attend. An invitation to the ceremony will be sent to graduands via mail approximately 4-6 weeks prior to the ceremony.

The diploma is equivalent to the first year of a bachelor degree at Deakin University, and the aim is to provide students with a pathway entry into second year. Using the diploma to apply for a job will depend on the requirement set out by the employer.

Deakin College enrolled students

Deakin College students have access to the Deakin College student portal – you should access this portal regularly as it contains important information about your study at Deakin College. If you have specific questions, the friendly Deakin College reception staff are always there to help.

Local students who meet the requirements are eligible for concession. International students are not eligible for concession at this stage.

Transferring to Deakin University

There are specific academic guidelines that students must meet to in order transfer to Deakin University. Click on the following links to find out more about international and Australian student transfers. Information sessions on transferring to Deakin University are held at Deakin College each trimester. Dates, times and venues are posted to the Student Portal.

Documents and forms

Information on where to find documents and forms for new students, current students and graduates can be obtained from the Forms & Documents page.

Back to Top