Need a hand?
What are Deakin College Learning Mentors?
Deakin College Learning Mentors are high-achieving students with excellent communication skills trained to support Deakin College students (at all campuses) to progress successfully in their studies.
How do Learning Mentor help students?
Learning Mentors help students by
- being approachable, supportive, and encouraging and by always treating discussions as confidential
- advising students about the expectations associated with being a successful student
- helping students get organised and by assisting them to develop effective study habits
- providing information on other support services available at Deakin College and Deakin University
- offering learning support to help students succeed in their units
- assisting students with unit-related queries through face-to-face meetings or online via Zoom
Students have the option of choosing an individual Learning Mentor based on the unit they require mentoring assistance with.
Learning Mentors do not:
- proof-read or edit work for students nor do they re-teach the content of classes/tutorials
- they do not assist students with the content of assignments as this would be collusion
Learning Mentors do:
- guide students towards a better understanding of an assignment's requirements
- guide students to come to their own understanding of certain elements of a unit's content
If more critical support is in need, a Learning Mentor may refer students back to their lecturer or to a Student Learning Advisor.
You can book an appointment with a Learning Mentor.
Where do I meet with a Learning Mentor once I have booked an appointment?
Typically at Burwood campus students will meet with a Learning Mentor in Room la4.134 (Building La, Level 4), or sometimes, the Learning Mentor may choose to meet with a student at the Deakin University Library. At Waurn Ponds and Waterfront campuses, Learning Mentors typically book meeting rooms in the library or meet students in interview rooms near each campus' respective reception area. Meeting details are always provided in the booking confirmation email.
Read the Participant Agreement.