International Students

International students who have accepted their offer, paid their fees and have received a CoE are now on their way to obtaining a student visa and beginning their journey to Melbourne.
Australian Campuses

Step 1: Organise your student visa and immigration requirements

Applying for a student visa

If you wish to study in Australia, you must have a valid student visa. The Australian Government issues student visas for full-time study on the understanding that you have sufficient funds for study and living expenses for the duration of your stay in Australia, and that you have a genuine intention to stay in Australia temporarily and are not using the student visa program for motives other than gaining a quality education. There are requirements that must be met before a student visa can be issued and these vary from country to country. Information about how to apply for your student visa can be obtained from Student visas can take from one to 12 weeks to be issued.

All student visa applications are assessed by the Australian Government. Your eligibiliity is based upon your:

  • English language proficiency

  • Finances

  • Medical

  • Character
  • Letter of Offer from Deakin College

  • Confirmation of Enrolment from Deakin College (issued by Deakin College admissions when the deposit is paid and the Student Acceptance and Payment Agreement is completed and returned to Admissions).

Course packaging

Courses can be packaged where one of the courses is a prerequisite to another course, or where one of the courses may only be taken after the completion of another of the courses. Deakin College courses can be packaged with an ELICOS and Deakin University Bachelor degree. Eligible students can package their student visa for the duration of the courses offered.

Keeping and understanding a student visa

All overseas students must comply with current visa conditions and regulations determined by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). For more detailed information on current visa conditions and regulations visit the DHA website -

Deferring the commencement of your course

Students who are unable to commence their course due to compelling and compassionate circumstances should contact Deakin College Admissions for an application to defer the commencement of their course to the following trimester.

Change of course

Overseas students may be eligible to change their course within Deakin College, subject to course entry requirements. To apply for a "change of course", students must complete and submit the Change of Course application to Deakin College Reception. Changing your course may have student visa implications and this must be discussed with a Student Adviser prior to submitting the form.

Leave of absence

An application for a leave of absence can only be approved on compassionate or compelling grounds when supported by documentation. A leave of absence can only be granted for one trimester at a time, for a maximum of two trimesters. Students who are granted a leave of absence after the census date of the trimester will NOT be eligible for a refund of course fees.

A student who is granted leave of absence will be required to depart Australia within 28 days of the approval date of leave. Students can arrive back in Australia within one month prior to the commencement of the next trimester.

It is the responsibility of Deakin College to notify DHA when a student is granted a leave of absence.

Extending your student visa in Australia

Students may apply for a student visa extension in Australia, provided that the student is meeting satisfactory course progress requirements and that the student visa is not subject to a "no further stay" condition. Students are advised to apply for a new student visa several months before the current student visa expires. For more information, visit

Permission to work

Students will automatically receive permission to work with their visa grant. This enables them to work up to 40 hours per fortnight whilst classes are in session and unrestricted hours during the trimester breaks. For more information, visit

Course completion within expected duration

Overseas students are required to complete their course within the expected duration as provided in their CoEs. A student must maintain a full-time enrolment.

Change of education provider

Overseas students who wish to withdraw from their course at Deakin College and transfer to another education provider can do so only after six months of study in their principal course. In all cases the Deakin College Diploma is the principal course unless packaged with a Bachelor at Deakin University.

Students are restricted from transferring to another provider/institution if they have not completed six calendar months of study in their principal course.

Students wanting to transfer to another provider prior to completing the first six months of the principal course must obtain a release letter from Deakin University.

Under 18 students

Students under the age of 18 at the time of visa application must have approved welfare and accommodation arrangements in place and must maintain these arrangements until they turn 18.

The following care arrangements are appropriate:

  1. The student resides with a parent, custodian or eligible relative over the age of 21 approved by the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). Deakin College approval is not necessary.

  2. The parents nominate a Deakin College recommended guardianship service to act as your guardian. You must meet the costs of this service. Deakin College will be required to approve the welfare arrangements in place.

If your welfare arrangements are approved by Deakin College, you cannot travel to Australia until your welfare arrangements commence. The date your welfare arrangements commence is the welfare start date Deakin College will nominate on the Confirmation of Appropriate Accommodation/Welfare Arrangements (CAAW).

Please note:

  • If your welfare arrangements change after the student visa has been granted you must advise the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) of this change.

  • If Deakin College has approved your accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements and issued the CAAW, any plans to change arrangements including accommodation must be discussed with Student Services. You must request for Deakin College to change these arrangements.

Students with families

Most student visas allow you to bring your family members to Australia as your dependants. For more information, please visit

Student Visa Conditions

Student visas are granted subject to a number of mandatory and discretionary conditions. Overseas students are required to comply with these conditions while studying in Australia. For more information, please visit

Academic progress

Students must achieve satisfactory academic progress each trimester. Deakin College is obliged to report students to DHA for failing to meet satisfactory academic progress requirements.


Overseas students must attend at least 80% of all scheduled classes during each trimester. If illness or personal illness prevent you from maintaining satisfactory attendance, please make an appointment with a Student Adviser as soon as possible.

Providing your Australian address

Your student visa requires that you advise Deakin College of your home address in Australia within seven (7) days of arriving in Australia. Thereafter, if you change your address during your stay in Australia, you must advise Deakin College within seven(7) days.

No further stay condition

Some student visas are issued with a "no further stay" condition. This condition means that you cannot apply to stay in Australia beyond the date specified on your student visa. Students will be required to contact DHA for further advice.

Step 2: Arrange Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)

As an international student you and any dependants are required to take out Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the duration of your student visa in Australia.

OSHC helps pay for medical and hospital care should you become ill during your stay in Australia. OSHC will also pay for most prescription drugs and emergency ambulance transport. OSHC will not cover any illness or disability that you had prior to arriving in Australia. It will also not cover ancillary services (for example, dental or optical services). If you require ancillary services you can take out extra OSHC, provided by an approved OSHC provider. Make sure you bring any optical or medical prescriptions with you to Australia.

On 1 July 2010, The Australian Government changed the student visa requirements. Under condition 8501, students will have to obtain Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for the proposed duration of their student visa. For students who will be undertaking a packaged course, there cannot be a gap in the OSHC coverage.

Deakin College has appointed BUPA to provide this cover. For information about BUPA visit the following website: If you already have OSHC you must provide documentation to Deakin College that your OSHC covers your visa duration.

Step 3: Organise your accommodation

Deakin College students who require accommodation have the opportunity of staying at a Deakin College Residential Campus, on-campus accommodation, homestay, temporary, hostel or apartment style accommodation or private house/flat rental.

For further information about Accommodation options click here.

Step 4: Book your flight and Deakin College's free airport pickup service

Many students travel to and from Australia at the beginning and end of each trimester, therefore flights can be heavily booked in advance. It is advisable to make a flight booking as soon as you have confirmed your enrolment at Deakin College.

Plan to arrive in Melbourne at least 14 days prior to Orientation and Enrolment to give yourself time to settle in, find permanent accommodation, open bank accounts and familiarise yourself with your new environment. This adjustment will be a major change to your normal routine and leaving your arrival to the last minute can create unnecessary difficulties.

Free airport reception

To assist you with your arrival in Melbourne, Deakin College provides an airport reception service. You will be met at the airport and transferred to your accommodation free of charge on your first arrival. Additional family members may use this service but will be required to pay.

How to arrange to be met at the airport

If you would like to be met at the airport and taken to your accommodation, please register at:

What to do if the driver has not found you

If the Driver has not found you within 30 minutes (after clearing Customs, for international flights) first check at the Information Desk or telephone Togoto 0409 503 646.

For more information about Melbourne Airport visit:

Step 5: Find out more about living in Melbourne or Geelong


The weather in Victoria is temperate and mild with four distinct seasons. Students will need to have a range of clothing to cater for the seasonal climatic conditions. During winter you will need warm clothing.


The unit of currency is the Australian dollar ($ or AUD) (100 cents = $1.00). There are six coins: $2 and $1 are gold; and 50c, 20c, 10c and 5c are silver. There are five notes: $100, $50, $20 $10 and $5. Each note has a unique design and a different colour.

For currency conversion see:

Cost of Living

The cost of living depends on individual lifestyle. Deakin College estimates that a single international student requires approximately $24,000-$28,000 per year to live in Melbourne. This estimate does not include airfares or additional costs for those who have a more expensive lifestyle.

The first few weeks in Australia may be expensive, due to an outlay of 'one-off' expenses. These may include temporary accommodation, rental bonds, books, clothing, furnishings, etc. Other major expenditure may include purchasing and maintaining a car, and obtaining a driver's licence.


Banks are open from Monday to Thursday 9.30am - 4.00pm, Friday 9.30am - 5.00pm. Some banks are open on Saturday mornings.

The main banks in Melbourne include ANZ, Bank of Melbourne/Westpac, Commonwealth and the National Australia Bank. Other financial institutions such as Building Societies, Credit Unions and Finance Companies can also be found. Automated Teller Machines (ATM) are widespread throughout Australia.

When opening a bank account you will be asked to provide your passport and other forms of identification eg. credit card, drivers licence, Student ID Card.

Tax File Number

If you obtain employment while in Australia it is recommended that you apply for a Tax File Number. You will be asked to provide your Tax File Number when you complete a taxation deduction form at the commencement of employment.

It is not compulsory to have or provide a Tax File Number, however if you do not have one, any income you earn will be taxed at a much higher rate. Students can obtain further information about work permits and Tax File Numbers from Deakin College or visit:


Holding a valid student visa allows you to drive in Victoria (for an indefinite period) provided you have an overseas licence which is current and valid and it is in English or is accompanied by an English translation, or you have an international Driver's Permit.

To apply for a Victorian Driver's Licence you must be 18 years of age or older and have a current overseas licence. You will undergo an eyesight test, a road law knowledge test and a practical driving test. Once you arrive in Melbourne you can contact Vic Roads on 131 171 or for more information about obtaining a Victorian Driver's Licence or driving with an overseas licence.

Public transport

Melbourne's public transport system operates tram, train and bus services throughout the metropolitan area and generally operates between 5.00am and 12 midnight Monday to Saturday, and 8.00am to 11.00pm on Sundays and public holidays.

The transport system offers a wide variety of fares which allow you to change from train to tram to bus with the same ticket. Tickets are available through electronic vending machines at train stations, on board trams and buses, and various shops.

Melbourne is divided into two zones for public transport. Each zone has a specific colour and covers a specific part of the metropolitan area. The choice of tickets are: a 2 hour ticket, daily ticket, weekly ticket, monthly ticket and short trip card. The ticket you need to purchase will depend on the amount of time you require and the distance you need to travel.

Note: International student travel concessions are not available in Melbourne.

For more information about Melbourne's public transport visit:


Deakin College provides a safe and welcoming learning environment for all students. It is important that you feel safe in your new city and on campus. For more information about safety on campus and in Melbourne, visit Deakin University's Safety and Security webpage.

For more information on Melbourne, Geelong and Victoria visit:

Jakarta Campus
International students who have accepted their offer and paid their fees are now on their way to obtaining a student visa and beginning their journey to Jakarta, Indonesia.

Student visa requirements for international students going to Indonesia

Student visas are usually issued for the duration of the course.

The applicant may obtain a student visa before arriving in Indonesia. For this option, the applicant must email the following information to

  • a completed application form
  • full color copy of all pages of the passport (must be valid for at least 18 months)
  • copies of the applicant's most recent school reports and the certificate
  • a CV/résumé summarizing the applicant's educational experience (not employment experience)
  • 4 x 6 full colour photograph with a red background (a digital copy must be provided so that multiple copies may be printed, as required by the Indonesian Immigration Office)
  • evidence of payment of tuition fees for the full program (the fee amount will be indicated in the applicant's letter of offer) plus the visa processing costs A$650
  • a financial statement (i.e bank statement, bank deposit, etc., with minimum A$13000) from the applicant's parent/guardian
  • a letter from a doctor in your home country stating that the applicant is in good health 
  • parent/guardian's details (full name, contact address, phone/mobile number, email address and occupation)
  • a sponsor letter stating that all expenses (including tuition fee and living cost) incurred by the student during his/her studies in Indonesia will be borne by the parent/guardian

Following submission of the above, Deakin College Jakarta can process the visa application. This takes at least 8 weeks. 

Note: Deakin College Jakarta will arrange airport pickup and can assist with student accommodation (minimum of one month notice)