Academic Entry Requirements
Deakin College offers admission to people from a range of backgrounds.
Completion or part completion of an Australian higher education qualification or equivalent.
Completion of an Australian VET qualification to a Certificate IV level or above or VCAL Senior completion.
Satisfactory completion of VCE or the equivalent from any Australian state or territory with a guaranteed ATAR score of 40 or above; Foundation Program or International Baccalaureate with a score of 22 or above.
Units 3 and 4 in any VCE English with a study score of at least 20 or 25 (program dependent); or equivalent.
Diploma of Engineering only: Units 3 and 4 in one of VCE Mathematical Methods or Specialist Mathematics with a study score of at least 20; or equivalent.
If there have been circumstance that have made it hard for you to do your best at study, you should consider putting in a special consideration application via VTAC’s Special Entry Access Scheme (SEAS).
Applicants are assessed on the basis of work experience relevant to the program; determined by type and level of employment, details of employer and length of employment. References and/or a statement from the employer substantiating the work claim are required.
Applicants are also required to submit a short statement articulating how they will use the knowledge, skills, abilities and personal qualities gained through life experience to succeed in their chosen course.
Domestic Applicants with Overseas Qualifications
Domestic applicants with academic qualifications are assessed for comparability using, but not limited to, the following resources
- The National Office of Overseas Skills Recognition (NOOSR) Country Education Profiles (CEPs)
These can be accessed online
- The National Recognition Information Centre (NARIC) (UK company)
NARIC can be accessed online
You can view our international admission requirements here.
Check if you are eligible for credit
If you have existing formal qualifications, you may be eligible for exemptions for those previous studies.
Find out how to apply for Credit here
Supplementary Portfolio Entry
Students who believe broader assessment of their school results, work experience, community engagement and other training/education achievements would be relevant to their application, may submit a supplementary portfolio to support their application.
Applicants in the following categories should submit a supplementary portfolio.
- School leavers who have fallen short of the required entry requirements.
- School leavers who do not have an Australian Tertiary Entrance Rank (ATAR) or equivalent.
- Students who have not completed Year 12 but are considered ‘mature age’ (ie. over 21 years of age).
Please note: Course specific English language requirements and pre-requisites must still be met.
What should you include in your Supplementary Portfolio?
1. Personal Statement
This should be attached to your application and be 250-400 words in length. Your statement should answer the following questions:
- Why do you wish to pursue the course you have selected? Describe how this course aligns with your interests and career goals. Which ‘major’ do you wish to
- complete at Deakin University?
- How will you balance study, work and leisure activities whilst remaining fully committed to your studies?
- What independent learning skills do you have that will assist you in completing a higher education award. How have you demonstrated those skills in your life and/or career to date?
- What information technology skills do you have? How familiar are you with word processing, spread sheets, presentations, databases, web browsers and email applications?
This should include all your work experience to date. It should include details of any paid, unpaid, voluntary, school based, full or part-time work. Which skills did you utilise whilst gaining this work experience.
3. References (optional)
You may wish to submit names and contact details of one or two professional or personal referees to support your application.
Please contact the college to find out more.