Accommodation options for international students under 18

International students under 18 years of age

Accommodation options

An international student who is under 18 years of age is a “minor”. Minors must meet immigration requirements for accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements before a student visa will be granted.

International students under 18 years of age must either:

  • reside in Australia with a parent, or a person who has custody of them, or a relative aged at least 21 nominated by either the parent or the person having custody of them, or;
  • provide evidence that they will be going into care arrangements – for their accommodation, support and general welfare – i.e. homestay approved by Deakin College.

Only a student’s parent or a person who has custody of the student is allowed to nominate a carer for them.

Residing with a relative

Students who are under 18 and have a relative living close to campus may be considered as a nominated guardian. 

This person must have a visa to stay in Australia for the duration of the students visa or until the student turns 18.

A relative is defined as a parent or adoptive or step-parent, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, grandparent, step-grandparent, aunt, uncle, step-aunt, step-uncle, niece, nephew, step-niece or step-nephew. It does not include a cousin. 

Obtaining a CoE

If the student is staying with an approved relative, Deakin College admissions will only provide a CoE. All other documentation is required when the student is applying for a student visa. 

External homestay arrangements

Deakin College works with Student Accommodation Services (SAS) to assist with porviding homestay arrangements for under 18 students. Students under 18 years old will be required to apply for a homestay directly to SAS.

Once SAS have confirmed your homestay, confirmation will be sent to our admissions team.

Guardianship services

Under 18s students who choose homestay as an option must use one of the following External Guardianship Services recommended by Deakin College:

International Student Alliance (ISA)
T: (613) 9663 2887

A & J Student Care Services
T: (613) 9801 2251

Professional Student Care
T: (613) 9318 3009

Obtaining a CoE and CAAW

A confirmation email from the Guardianship Company and a copy of the Homestay application must be provided to Deakin College admissions before an eCoE and CAAW can be provided.