Accommodation for International Students Under 18 Years of Age
An international student who is under 18 years of age is a “minor”. Minors must meet immigration requirements for accommodation, support and general welfare arrangements before a student visa will be granted.
International students under 18 years of age must either:
- reside in Australia with a parent, or a person who has custody of them, or a relative aged at least 21 nominated by either the parent or the person having custody of them, or;
- provide evidence that they will be going into care arrangements – for their accommodation, support and general welfare – i.e. homestay approved by Deakin College, or;
- reside in the Deakin on-campus accommodation at Burwood.
Only a student’s parent or a person who has custody of the student is allowed to nominate a carer for them.
Under 18s students who choose homestay as an option must use one of the following External Guardianship Services recommended by Deakin College:
- International Student Alliance (ISA)
T: (613) 9663 2887
- A & J Student Care Services
T: (613) 9801 2251
- Professional Student Care
T: (613) 9318 3009