Skip to Main Content

Off-Campus Accommodation

International House

Melbourne Burwood Campus only

Located only a short 5 minute walk from Deakin College Melbourne Burwood Campus is International House. International House provides Deakin College students with a safe, secure townhouse and apartment style living.

How to apply


Homestay provides you with the opportunity to live with an Australian family. This accommodation option is very popular with students arriving in Melbourne for the first time. Homestay is a good choice if you want to improve your English and want to experience Australian life and culture. Homestay may be families, couples or single people. All are selected to provide good quality facilities and meals if required.

How to apply:

Deakin College has appointed Student Accommodation Services (SAS) as the preferred Homestay provider. Please visit their website for more information and to apply.


Students may choose to rent an apartment or a house – either on their own or with friends. The majority of rental properties are not furnished. Rental costs usually do not include the payment of expenses (bills) such as gas and electricity.

If you rent a property you will be required to sign a contract (lease) which will make you responsible for that property and any damages that may occur. If you are sharing with friends then each of you should sign the contract and share equally in all expenses. Prior to moving into a rental property you will be asked to pay a bond, plus one months rent in advance. The bond is usually equivalent to one month of rent payment. When you leave the rental property the bond will be returned to you provided the property is in the same condition as it was when you moved in and there aren’t any outstanding bills (eg. telephone, electricity, etc.).

Before agreeing to rent, it is important that you fully understand what is expected of you as a tenant. You also need to be aware of the rights and responsibilities you have, as well as those of your landlord. The Rights and Responsibilities booklet at your real estate agent office will tell you what you need to know. Ensure that you read it carefully.

For more information visit the following websites

How to find rental or share properties

You can access the following websites to find vacant rental properties:

Deakin University Student Life House Service

As a Deakin College student, you can access the Deakin University Student Life Housing Service. This service provides a number of accommodation options for students, including full board, share housing and vacant properties for private rental. You can have access to their service housing database of local properties. The database provides information regarding available properties and current prices. For more information Deakin University’s website.

Hostel/Apartment Style

A range of hostels and apartment style accommodation are available for students to choose from. Most hostels/apartments offer single or shared fully furnished rooms.

Short Term Accommodation

Short Term accommodation is an option for students who are not sure what type of accommodation they require, or if their long term accommodation is not ready in time. This type of accommodation is generally a budget hotel or hostel close to Deakin College.

Back to Top