Deakin College is taking the COVID-19 pandemic seriously. Our primary focus is the health and well-being of our students and staff.

International student returns

Latest updates

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

Student visa holders can now return to Victoria without needing to apply for a travel exemption.

For further information about arriving in Victoria, visit the Coronavirus Victoria website.

No. International students with a valid visa no longer need an exemption to travel to Australia. More information on travel exemptions can be found at the Department of Home Affairs website.

To stay up-to-date on the latest information regarding the return of international students to Victoria, please visit Study Melbourne

We will teach both face-to-face and online classes in 2022.  If you are in studying at the Melbourne Burwood campus or the Geelong Waurn Ponds or Waterfront campuses, it is expected that you attend face-to-face classes. If you are still overseas, you can attend classes online.


No, but it is highly recommended. Maintaining your vaccination schedule provides you the greatest individual protection against developing severe illness if you contract COVID-19, which in turn reduces the stresses on our health system and our dedicated and hard-working health professionals.

Please note if you are attending student placements in high-risk settings where vaccine mandates remain in place, you will still be subject to the relevant requirements of those industries.

Visa information

You must hold a valid student visa, Student (subclass 500) visa to participate in the International Student Arrival Plan. The Department will not facilitate priority processing for student visas as part of this process. Check the Department’s website for current processing times.

While there is no minimum visa validity required to enter Australia, you should allow enough time on your visa if there are delays to your travel to Australia. You cannot board your scheduled flight without a visa.

Students can check their current visa status and the expiry date of their visa through VEVO.  If you would like to check the conditions of your student visa, please check the Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) or your ImmiAccount.

Students can use their ImmiAccount to apply for a new visa if your visa has already expired or is close to expiring.

If you wish to lodge an application for a student visa in Australia, you must meet standard eligibility requirements. You can apply for a new student visa application via ImmiAccount.

For further information, please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.


To enter Australia you must hold a valid student visa. Visit the Coronavirus Victoria website for more information about arriving in Victoria and our CovidSafe settings.

Students do not require a letter from Deakin College to return to Australia. 

No. The Victorian Government has advised that international students returning to study at Victorian institutions will not be required to quarantine on their arrival to Melbourne. Read the Victorian Government’s Press Release.

All International students and Temporary Graduate visa holders arriving in Australia need to comply with the quarantine requirements in the state or territory of their arrival, and any other state or territories to which they plan to travel. Further advice is available on the Australian Government website.

Yes. The Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs provides a checklist of information and steps you will need to follow.

Yes.  Please ensure you read a copy of the latest Deakin College Pre-departure handbook prior to arrival.

All New and Current students who arrive prior to the commencement of classes for Trimester 1, 2022 will be picked up at the airport for free.  You will be required to complete this form providing your details and accommodation arrangements.  Please note, this free service will only apply to Current returning students for Trimester 1.  After this date, the service will only be offered to New students.

Be sure to arrange your accommodation as soon as you know which campus you will be studying at. Options will depend on your campus location, budget and your preferred type of accommodation. View accommodation options at Deakin.

If you are U18, you will be required to reside in Homestay accommodation.  All other requirements of the Deakin College U18 Management Program will remain the same.  Please visit our website for further information.

Deakin University Residences are located on the Melbourne Burwood campus and the Geelong Waurn Ponds and Waterfront campuses. Find more information on university accommodation.

International students in Australia

If you feel unwell after arriving in Melbourne, you must undertake a PCR or a rapid antigen test. Rapid antigen tests can be purchased from supermarkets, chemists and convenience stores. To get a PCR test, view the full list of testing sites.

If you have a PCR test, self-quarantine until you receive a negative result. If you test positive on a rapid antigen test, you must report your result. Follow the Checklist for COVID cases if you test positive to COVID-19.

International students are covered by Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) and are required to have health insurance which is a condition of your student visa.

Yes.  This has been made possible because Australia has now reached a new vaccination milestone –  85% of the adult population is now fully vaccinated against COVID19 – making Australia one of the safest countries on the planet! The State of Victoria is 90% double vaccinated and expected to reach 95% by mid-December 2021.

Current students

Yes, you will be able to complete your studies online if you started your course online.

As much as we would like you to commence studying on campus, you will have the option to continue studying online as long as you are committed to attending online classes and you have a stable internet connection and access to your Deakin College email account and study materials.

If government regulations change, we may be required to phase out online classes for international students, but we will let you know if this happens.

Yes, as long as you complete your course online.

Contact details

Local health services contacts

  • National Coronavirus Helpline – 1800 020 080
    Call this line if you are seeking information on Coronavirus (COVID-19). The line operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
  • Find a doctor or hospital
  • Emergency contacts –  In an emergency, contact 000

Campus contacts

Course/program specific contacts

  • Please visit our Contact page to find specific contacts at Deakin College